Thursday, February 12, 2009

Tule, Wonder Horse

How can I put into words, that I really do have the best horse in the whole entire world, without sounding like I'm just bragging again?

On Tuesday, my friend Rhonda called me to see if I had plans for my day, and she invited me to go on a nice long trail ride with her at Fordbrook. Well of course I jumped at the chance. Rhonda is someone I really enjoy spending time with, and it's been great having her support around the barn when stuff happens with the horses. Rhonda is the owner and barn manager at Fordbrook, so she really knows her stuff :)

I was a tiny bit anxious about setting off with Tule, because I'd not ridden him out on the trails myself yet. But, a lot of confidence goes a long way. I knew he "could" do it, because I've seen him do it with Lynn (our trainer/riding instructor). And I've been riding him almost every day for weeks now, and we've made great progress. So I just decided to go for it. If something were to happen, I was sure I could deal with it and get us safely home.

Turns out I had nothing to worry about. Tule can do it all. He led, he followed; he crossed water, he went over downed trees, he trotted and cantered up the hills, he never once lost his mind. There were deer, and squirrels, and power lines. We stopped for lunch, and he stood tied to a tree while we ate. It was amazing.

I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that there's nothing he can't do.

I will concede that he seemed more interested in being in front. He tended to climb up into Apache's personal space rather a lot. But this is easily handled. Practice makes perfect!

1 comment:

  1. Not surprising at all. I remember when you two met. It was clear you were made for each other. What a great team you make!

    ReplyDelete